Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Skimboarding and Other Board Sports

Whenever I tell someone that I love to go skimboarding when the hot weather hits the first thing that comes out of their mouths is "what the heck is skimboarding and what does a skimboard look like?" If you've ever seen a skimboard before it's easy to imagine but if you haven't it's very difficult to picture in your mind. I always tell people it's a mix between a body board and a surfboard but the way it's ridden is very very different.

Not only do you not paddle out into the surf but the sand starts out being your best friend. And the smoother the sand the better the skimboarding will be. There's nothing like a smooth patch of sand for a skimboarder. If we have a beach clear of people and nice smooth patch of sand, us skimboarders are in heaven.

Body boarders on other hand love waves that break closer to shore but still need the waves to get their ride. And body boarders not only dislike but hate the sand and only want to see the sand when they're finished riding their waves. If a body boarder is seeing sand too soon that means that they're most likely eating sand and that's not fun. I can speak from experience.

Surfers on the other hand want to get as far away from the beach as possible or wherever the best waves are breaking. Even if that means paddling out to where most tourists would never ever venture. I can still remember my first time surfing in Hawaii. I had just hit Waikiki beach with my surfboard and was paddling out to find the good waves. And way out on the horizon where you could barely see unless you were squinting were a few dozen local surfers. Being my first time to Hawaii and not being too sure if I should paddle way out there and interfere with their waves I decided to stick closer to shore. After awhile I was able to talk to a few of them and was welcomed to go out there and ride with them. It turned out to be an awesome experience and I made some friends in the process.

So as you can see these popular board sports are very different but are all done on hundreds of beaches all over the world. If you go to any beach in the world I can almost bet that you'll see one of these board sports being done by some of thehttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif locals.

Well enough talk about all these great board sports. It's time to go hit the waves and enjoy the summer time. There's nothing like summer time. Sorry but winter is not fun!

SkimBoard Pros

No comments:

Post a Comment