Monday, June 14, 2010

Sports and Humans

Being 31 years old I've watched the progression of video games, TV, Internet and movies. While I like all of them (don't play video games much anymore though). I've also seen the problems and damage that they can cause to kids and teenagers. When I was young I still remember getting my first Atari system, then my first Nintendo, then my first game boy, then my first super Nintendo. I admit to playing all of those systems a lot but I also went outside a lot with my friends and also just to be by myself. I always had hobbies that took me outside and kept me in shape.

Over the last decade or so I've seen what a negative impact all of things have had on kids. No one will argue that obesity is killing America's youth and adults. You look back even 20 years ago at pictures, films, magazines of regular people and you'll see a stunning difference in weight. You go back 40 years and the it's like a night and day difference between people back then and people now.

One of the problems I see is lack of hobbies or sports. No, I wouldn't count video games or TV as a hobby. I know this first hand by watching some of my family members who are or were addicted to video games or the TV. They're overweight, unhealthy and have very low self-esteem, while the people in my family who go outdoors, play sports, hike and have hobbies are healthy, happy and have high self-esteem.

So I'm just going to state the obvious....go outside, play more sports, watch less TV, get an outdoor hobby.

http://www.SkimboardPros.com

No comments:

Post a Comment